Friday, February 29, 2008

Meeting w/ my priest

I met with a priest at church today to talk about my discernment. It went well enough. This particular priest is so compassionate and pastoral in a one on one setting.
She immediately posed some questions that she said up front weren't fair questions but were questions that had to be asked. Why do you feel called? One of my responses was I felt a call to service. She asked, "Why in the church?" Why a priest?

Very pointed questions that cut straight to the heart of the matter that I really wasn't prepared for. But I think all in all, for an initial discussion I handled myself ok. I think now that I know how this process will go, as far as what types of questions I will be facing, I will be better prepared in the future.

So, immediately after our meeting I felt a great weight had been lifted. But then as the afternoon went on, I felt a great deal of anxiety. Anxiety over the seriousness of what I had done, this is a big deal. And I had contemplated most, if not all, of the aspects involved with this process. But hearing my priest talk about all of those issues brought a clear ray of light on all those issues and made them seem even larger than I had imagined. So the weight of that laid on me all day.

I'm feeling better now though. We'll see what happens. I have some homework: write a spiritual autobiography (which I've done twice before), and reading over the ordination services for each order of bishop, priest and deacon.

Now the fun begins.

No comments: