Saturday, February 16, 2008

Been at the boat

We spent the last couple of days down at the boat, got back this afternoon.

We have a little (I mean little) houseboat at a lake about an hour and a half from here. The boat itself is actually quite nice for what it is, it's basically a shed on pontoons, but my partner has put a ton of work into it. I would bet he has made it nicer than most anyone else would have been able to, short of pouring thousands of dollars into it. Not to mention the boat slip we have is incredible, we face a cove and have an unbelievable view, a view that people who own the $100,000+ houseboats down there would certainly be envious of. We don't have to leave the dock to have a good time, in fact we rarely do.

But, I am not a boat person, I'm not a huge fan of the water, and I'm not an outdoors type of guy either. Sounds like I'm a sissy right? Well not so really, I just have my preferences.

I do like being down there, once we're settled, especially during the winter months. That is because no one else is down there, the quietness is palpable.

There are always ducks swimming by, an occasional otter splashing about in the middle of the night. And my partner always makes sure to have great food to eat while down there. And we're gluttons for electronics, so we have our computers (although intermittent internet connection, esp during winter) and watch movies and drink wine, and during the day take hikes and what not.

But, I am always glad to get back home and stretch out.

No comments: