Friday, January 25, 2008

Sorting some stuff out

I've been thinking a lot lately about the compatibility of the priesthood and homosexuality. Obviously this (more specifically the role of bishops) has been a major point of contention within the Anglican Communion and The Episcopal Church.
I feel there is a stumbling block between any discernment I might have and any issue with sexuality that other people might have.
So, considering the contention some people have of biblical interpretation, I have to honor that on some level. That is because I interpret the Bible in a certain way that is at odds with a lot of people, so if someone else interprets it in a certain way I feel obligated to honor that, even though I may disagree with them. It is because I am open to the fact that different people can and will interpret the Bible in different ways.
But in the end I would hope we could all live together in some sort of relationship. Other people (always the hard conservatives) feel otherwise. They feel the need to ostracize gay people and separate themselves from anyone that accepts them.
So where does that leave me? In some ways it discourages me. It's disheartening to know that the church you are a part of and feel a longing to be a leader in, is going through these struggles. On the other hand it is very encouraging. It gives me strength to know I have the capacity to minister to people in the church who may feel like I do, even disenfranchised. Because, not in spite of, my sexual orientation, but because, I may have the capacity to do even greater good.

Ok, so I'm getting a little ahead of myself. But, I'm still sorting this all out.

No comments: