Saturday, January 12, 2008

Evan Almighty

We're watching 'Evan Almighty'.

Besides it being silly and not such a great movie, it actually provides some insight.

A man is being called by God, he denies it, thinks he's crazy and at some point through the overcoming power of God he accepts God's will. He does this at the chagrin and even laughing of those who know and love him.

A large part of accepting God's call for me is accepting the sure to come questioning, even mocking.

How do I prepare myself for that?

It has pre-occupied a lot of my thinking over the last few months. How do I prepare for other people's reactions? I think that is what is truly holding me back.

The initial response I received from my partner was a mix of 'I saw this coming' to 'why on earth would you consider such a thing?'

So that's where I am. I (think) know what people's reaction will be.

But I have to brush that aside. Anything I believe in has to be strong enough to stand up in the face of any criticism or questioning. If it doesn't, then maybe it's not real.

No comments: