Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Great Vigil of Easter


I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical heading into tonight's service. My first experience with the Great Vigil of Easter didn't live up to the billing. I was told it was the biggest service in the church year, it would be packed, would last for two hours etc etc. That was also when I was baptized and confirmed.
Well that service was spectacular for me for the simple reason I was baptized, that was such a huge transformation for me, I am still trying to comprehend it all two years later. But I still remember the service itself not living up to the billing.
Last year I was running the sound so any meaning attached to the service was lost on me completely.

This year, because of everything I've been going through spiritually, I have hoped every service I have attended has some meaning. Like I said at the beginning, I wasn't quite sure about this one, even skeptical.

As it began and continued I was ok, but still not moved. We sat in darkness with our candles, listening to the Old Testament readings. Then the lights came on and everything was supposed to be glorious.

I did find my glory though. As we moved from darkness into light I realized the bonds, the weight, the cross even, that we were all supposed to bear for the last 40 days, were gone now. We were free, we could be happy, even rejoice in church and not have to kneel and grovel and ask for forgiveness.

When I realized that, I could barely keep myself from smiling and indeed almost laughing out loud at the joy I felt.

Thank God it's Easter!

No comments: